2/28/2011

One last winter project

We are starting to go a little stir crazy around here. The winter chill has lost it's edge, the snow is starting to melt, the promise of spring is in the air. But there is still snow on the ground. While the children are chanting "come on spring!" the adults all know we have a good 2 weeks before we really make any progress towards warmer weather. So instead of wishing these last few moments of winter away, I decided it was about time to wrap up my last of the winter projects.

A few weeks ago I talked about the snow sleeves that I had made for the children, and how they needed home made mittens to fit over the bulky sleeves. So last week I finished up the last of the mittens.
To make the pattern, I just had one of the kid try on a sleeve, then I traced around their sleeved hand, giving myself about 3/4 of an inch for seam allowance and general wiggle room. For each mitten I cut out two top pieces and two bottom pieces (so they would be double lined), sewed the top pieces together, and then the bottom pieces. Then for Louisa's I stitched her hearts on the top, and glued/stitched Alex's stars on (the circle is stitched, but the star is glued with fabric glue). Then I pinned the tops and bottoms (wrong sides together), stitched, and flipped them right side out. They were done just in time for another 6 inches of white powder to fall out of the sky...

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Those are some adorable mittens. I need to make some for my kiddos! Thanks for sharing the link with me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...