4/06/2012

Sugar experiment: day 2


So what’s the point? I know what you’re thinking. Why on earth does a skinny, healthy girl willingly give up sugar? I’ll give you a hint. It’s not for health reasons. I don’t have clogged arteries, and I don’t need to lose weight. This isn’t a diet, it’s an act of love.
It’s for Jesus. I’ve been reading a lot lately about people who willingly went without in order to connect better with Jesus. Lysa Terkeurst did it, so did Jen Hatmaker. In essence the main idea is to come to terms with the choices I’m making about my dietary habits (or shopping impulses, or whatever might be getting in the way of my faith), be willing to go without, and replace my negative, impulsive choices with more positive, thoughtful ones.
Additionally I think there’s a lot to be said about the idea of using a long term fast of sorts to connect to those who go without on a regular basis. I tried to figure out what percentage of the world lives without sugar as a regular part of their daily existence. I couldn’t find that statistic. But I’ll bet it’s pretty high. For the next few weeks I’m going to stand shoulder to shoulder with those moms who love their kids and work themselves to the bone on a daily basis, but don’t have the luxury indulging in chocolate when life gets hard, or celebrating the fact that they survived another day with a bowl of ice cream before bed.
So what now? Is this little project going to take over my blog? Am I going to give a whiney play by play of each day? No and no. If I get some specific insight related to this project I’ll be happy to share it with you, and you’ll understand where I am coming from. If I manage to inspire you to give up some unnecessary essential in y our life, so be it.
But most of all, I’m sharing my project with you so you won’t offer me a cookie. Because no, I don’t want one.

1 comment:

Zsa Zsa said...

Good luck. I wish I had your determination. I hope you will have understanding people around you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...