5/15/2013

A call to serve - a summer project that counts

I don’t know about you, but as I look forward to my summer vacation with my kids I’m seeing an awful lot of white space. A glaring, in your face, void of whitespace that is screaming to be filled with activity. While my natural inclination is to compulsively sign my kids up for every single summer camp the YMCA offers, the smart part of my brain wants me to look at the big picture for our summer.

Do I want busy children or am I striving for engaged children? Children not busily carted from one place to another in the interest of keeping my house in order, but children engaged in projects and activities that make a difference in the lives of others.

My lovely friends over at Adventures in Odyssey, with Focus on the Family, recently contacted me to share a free summer program that they have arranged titled A.C.T.S. (A Call to Service) challenge and contest. Here’s how it works:

This summer, Adventures in Odyssey is joining with Christian bookstores across the country, inviting kids to participate in a Summer of Service. They’re promoting the biblical message, “When you serve, everybody wins,” encouraging kids to serve their families, their communities, and their world. Whether it’s baking cookies for an elderly neighbor or putting together a care package for missionaries overseas, kids will discover that serving can be a blast!

Kids who join A.C.T.S. can pick up a service log and collect fun character stickers for hours served at participating bookstores throughout the summer, or download a serving log online at whitsend.org. At the end of the summer, kids can record and upload a short video telling how they serve and why they’d like to become an Adventures in Odyssey Ambassador.

A hundred winners will get the brand new AIO Album, and after online voting, two grand prize winners (one boy and one girl) will get to travel on an exciting Good-Goers Mission Based Adventure trip to another country with a parent! The out-of-country destination will be announced on a live podcast May 22—hosted by AIO actors Katie Leigh (Connie) and Chris Anthony (Chris)—which you can watch at whitsend.org/acts.

In the days to come I’ll share more information about the projects that we have set up, so check back for more details.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...