7/19/2013

Guest post - I want more

Hey there!
I'm so happy to have you with me today as I have invited my fellow adoptive mama blogger Erin Martin to share a few words with you about her dreams for her boys. Enjoy!

Dear Douglas, Freeland, and Casper,


I’m going to have to tell you something that may be hard for you to understand at first. I don’t really want you to be happy. I know. It sounds bad, but hear me out.

You see, my sons, I’ve heard too many parents say, “I don’t really care about ________, I just want my child to be happy.” I want so much more than that for you!

I want you to be uncomfortable. I want you to feel discomfort when you see injustice, suffering, and poverty in this world. I want you to be so uncomfortable that you are moved to do whatever you can to alleviate the suffering around you. I want you to be uncomfortable with half-truths and justifications; I want you to be so uncomfortable with easy answers that you turn to God for the true answers to life.

I want you to cry. I want your hearts to break when you see people exploited and oppressed. I want you to know the heart wrenching suffering of pushing yourself out of your comfort zone so that you can reach out your hand to them and help to turn their pain to joy.

I want you to be foolish. I want you to see the overwhelming needs of suffering humanity and believe that you can make a difference. I want you to calmly move past the naysayers and get busy doing whatever you can, wherever you can, however you can.

I want you to be angry. I want your heart to burn when you are faced with temptation to throw your life away in an empty fling that will “make you happy” for a few minutes. I want you to feel so angry that you spurn the temptation with everything within you.

I want you to be holy. This will mean that you need to pass up a lot of things that people in general consider necessary for “happiness”. And it is going to take power beyond your own. This will require power straight from God. But I’ll let you in on a little secret here, boys, God’s power is always there wherever you are and is always enough whatever you face. Who wouldn’t want power like that?

I don’t want mere happiness for you, my precious boys.


I want you to be content. I want you to know that peace in your heart is not dependent on outward circumstances. I want you to know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the best place on earth for you is the place God calls you to fill. And I want you to be content there.

I have seen your sweet hearts as you sacrifice for the needs of others. I have seen how you have taken your sisters into your hearts and accepted them without hesitation or reservation. I am proud of you, my sons. I want so much more for you than mere fleeting happiness. I know that God hears my prayers as I plead with Him to keep you and to shape your hearts desires. And I trust Him to answer.

All my love,

Mommy

Hi, my name is Erin, and I blog at God Has Answered. I love to write about my faith, my five children, and adoption. I started blogging to document our youngest daughter's adoption from China. After our daughter came home I continued to blog about her adjustments, and eventually expanded to include advocating for children who are waiting for families. I’m always looking for great blogs to read, so if you have time please drop by or leave a comment, and let me know where I can read about your life.Here is a link to my blog. Martins in China

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...