8/26/2013

What not to buy.


I recently read an article about someone’s don’t buy list. Since I didn’t save a link to the article I can’t share it with you, but the basic gist of the article was creating a rule for your house to help you decide what you would and would not buy to decorate your home with.
Such as “I don’t buy modern accents.”
Great. Very helpful right? So as I’m thinking through what my “don’t buy it” list would include I cannot in good faith limit the rule to decorating my house.
Because at the end of the day, I don’t really care what my house looks like.
Eep. My Alexa rank totally just went down with that little confession. I know. I’m not really sure I care.
I’m all about engaging in authentic relationships with friends and family. So at the end of the day I’d really rather invest my energy in people, not possessions.
Because everything I purchase will eventually be thrown away. So there. If  you thought my house is all posh and designer-y I’m sorry to burst your bubble. It isn’t.
Anyway. Back to the point. My “don’t buy rule” is this: if it doesn’t serve to strengthen my children’s character or improve a relationship with people I care about it doesn’t come in my house. Comfy couches for family time? Yup.
Formal anything that I’m afraid to use it because my tornado child will break it five minutes after I take it out of the box? Yeah, no.
If it’s a toy that only one kid can play with at a time, forget it.
Enough storage to tame the clutter and keep my organizational brain from freaking out (and yelling at my kids?) Yeah, totally.
These are the things I think about before I decide what can come in and what should just stay at Target.
Have a “don’t buy” rule for your house? I’d love to hear about it. It’s your turn. Go.

1 comment:

Aleta said...

My husband would say, "Nothing more for the baby" but he's not home all day with a baby that gets bored easily!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...