4/14/2005

why my children will never attend public school

Can I pull out my soapbox for a minute?
I’ve always known that I wanted to home school my kids. I made this decision in college, before I was even married. There’s too much bias in schools, they’re way too political. Since I have a degree in education, I figured I might as well put it to use and home school my kids.
With that background information provided, I now return to my soapbox.
I was perusing the teacher books at the library recently, and stumbled across the book “Dumbing Down our Kids, Why American children feel good about themselves but can’t read, write or add” by Charles J. Sykes. Oh my freaking goodness. Talk about an eye opener. If I wasn’t planning on HS my kids earlier, I certainly am now.

In addition to being political, he claims that current teaching strategies are ineffective - this book has shot down every single teaching strategy that I learned in college as ineffective (with inclusive evidence to support his claims) he also discusses how teachers and administrators are lowering their grading standards, to make the kids look smarter. I could go on and on about this book, but I think you get the point.

So when you meet my children, don’t ask them what school they go to.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...