4/15/2010

This week

My oh my has this been an interesting week. It started with a bored Mama who needed a field trip. So to the botanical gardens we went, to see what was blooming. (Well I was interested in what was blooming, the children just wanted to run through all the little garden rooms playing tag.) We did learn to recognize tulips though, so it wasn't a total loss. But there were many things blooming - tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and so much more. I was as happy as a kid in a candy store (or perhaps a Mama in a garden) peaking in each little bed to see what treasures it held (while the children ran wild of course).

The other interesting occurance happened yesterday, after lunch I was walking around in my yard pondering life, when a rather large snake warned me not to step any closer. Eek. He flattened his head the way a cobra does - which was rather terrifying. I am fairly certain that there are no cobras in this area, so I called the resident snake expert (aka my father) to identify the critter. Popular opinion says it's a Black Rat snake, which may or may not be harmless. We're taking precautions anyway.
So now the immediate drama is over, I can only thank God for minimizing the drama involved in the situation. I was alone when I found the snake, so the children were spared the trauma of witnessing a scared Mama. He showed up early in the day - before I would have sent the children out to play. Which is such a blessing as I found him in a high traffic area of the yard. If it had been an hour later and I had sent them out, it would have only been a matter of time before the first unsuspecting pair of bare feet ran past him. Shudder.

All I can say is I would never make it in Africa where they have really dangerous snakes.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Elissa - we have black rat snakes here. They are not poisonous. They are actually beneficial and I have reluctantly accepted them as such. They eat mice and other snakes (i.e. copperheads here). While my reaction to seeing a snake in the wild is about the same as yours, I'd much rather find a black rat snake in my yard than a copperhead. The enemy of my enemy... Chris does tend to quote Genesis whenever I encounter a snake - such a big help he is! :-) -Kathy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...