6/14/2013

An ode to special needs teachers.

As I sit here, listening to my very special, but very cranky - off kilter boy, my boy who’s voice is hoarse because of all the screaming he’s done this week; I can’t help but count the moments until extended school year starts next week.


And my son can go back to his happy place where he can be with the people who know how he rolls. The teachers who are not paid nearly enough money to deal with his incessant questions, toddler tantrums, and old fashioned fear-based defiance.

To those professionals who probably get just as frustrated with my child as we do, but never let it show, we would just like to say thank you.

Thank you for not calling me to complain when my son is very difficult. Thank you for greeting him each day with a smile and a hug. Thanks for working your little magic to make progress in the areas where I have failed time and time again.

And most of all, thank you for not giving up on my son, or letting me give up on him when I’ve been really really tempted.

You are miracle workers. Your skills make me want to sing a hopeful song and tap dance across the stage. There is a special place for you in heaven with long flowering robes, and children who don’t scream.

You are a special breed to be sure. The parents of your special students owe you a great deal. We know full well we can never repay you for the kindness you have bestowed upon our families. So on behalf of special needs Mamas everywhere, I’d just like to say thanks for your service.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's such a blessing to have teachers who are committed to our children!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...